Portable solar panels, what are they and how to they work? Here is a list of the most commonly asked questions about portable solar to help you decide.
Portable solar panels - What are they, and are they worth investing in?
More and more households are now using solar panels to power up their homes. Intending to reduce carbon footprint in the production of energy, many people are extending this carbon-less way of energy generation in their activities when they are outside of their homes.
What are portable solar panels, and how do they work?
Portable solar panels work just like residential and business type solar panels but on a smaller scale and smaller energy production. A typical movable panel can produce around 100 watts just enough to power up a few appliances or charge batteries. They can come with additional features such as a kickstand, carrying case and foldable designs.
They also need, just like regular solar panels do, a solar controller or a charge controller to regulate the output, batteries to store power, and an inverter to convert it to usable energy.
What are the uses and advantages of portable solar panels?
Though portable solar panels are small, some types are powerful enough to:
- Charge your phone or other electronic devices
- Power up some appliances
- Light up some LED lights
- Provide power during camping and RV trip
Some advantages of using solar panels include:
- Portable solar panels are movable so you can position it where it can receive the optimal sunlight. It is also handy and can be brought along when you go out, go for a trip, or travel.
- Portable solar panels operate without cost. Once you purchase it, it is readily functional.
- Unlike generators, it does not produce a loud sound.
What are the factors to be considered before purchasing a portable solar panel?
Before buying a portable solar panel, you should look into some factors to know what is the suitable kind for you.
- Usage. The primary thing you should consider is where will the portable solar panel be used? Is it just for extra power in cases of emergencies? Or will you use it for a camping trip or when traveling
- Output. You should also identify how much power you need to choose the right solar panel equipment that could provide you enough energy you need.
- Weight. How light the solar panels are is also essential, mainly if it will be used for camping and hiking.
- Add-ons. Will the portable solar panel need additional devices to function, such as batteries? Or does it have other connection options.
- Other features. You also need to know if other features of the solar panels come with it, such as a read-out monitor display for monitoring or USB ports for phone charging.
- Budget. You might also need to look into your budget when buying a portable solar panel. There are many available kinds in the market to choose from according to your needs and budget.
How to use and set-up a portable solar panel?
The portable solar panel you will purchase has a manual that can instruct you on how to set-up it up correctly. A portable solar system includes a charge controller, battery pack, inverters, panels, and some wires. Different kinds of panels may require different set-ups, but with the help of the instructions manual, assembling it could be simple and straightforward.
Solar Shop Online provides a wide range of solar products to customers in Australia and New Zealand. If you need assistance, don’t hesitate to contact our customer service at 1300 620 290. We guarantee a top-notch service from the time of your purchase to after-sales service.